Since I finally sat down to blog I think I'll put up some pictures of us bowling. We had our diabetes "Walk to Cure" team kick off last month at Logan Lanes. It was SO fun! It was just what our family needed! We don't get the opportunity to do stuff like this very often because we have minimal funds to spend on entertainment, so it was a nice treat!
Aubrey LOVED bowling and has asked to go again several times since! She did however have a slip up that Nate dies laughing about every time he thinks about it. She chucked her ball and realized that it wasn't moving very fast and thought if she kicked the ball it would go faster. Her foot slipped right off the ball and she landed flat on her back! It was pretty funny to watch and luckily she didn't get hurt and she was a great sport about it.
Carlee and Cousin Brayden. Aubrey let Carlee use one of her turns... that ball took forever to get to the pins!!!
We kept Carlee stationary & happy with Cheetos
Horrible picture of me, but proof I was there!
The diabetes walk is only a few weeks away! Nate's cousin Stacey has been working for JDRF since before Nate's diagnosis last year and she has been great with helping us get involved and getting us information we needed at the start of all of this. A couple months ago she posted this video on her blog about a little girl that walks in the Idaho Falls walk. I thought I would post it too because it is much more informing than I can be here on the blog. I hope they don't mind me posting this, it's on youtube so I'm assuming it's okay. (Stacey please let me know otherwise and I will take it down).
Type 1 diabetes was originally call "Juvenile Diabetes" because it is usually diagnosed in young people such as sweet Sydney. There have been more and more people diagnosed a little later in life like Nate did. In fact many people are still surprised to hear that Nate was diagnosed at 25! Nate feels for these kids and is so grateful he was not faced with this challenge earlier in life. We cross our fingers and pray everyday that our kids won't be faced with this either!
At this time Nate does not have a "pump" that gives him insulin. We hear most of the time you have to fight with your insurance company to get them to pay for part of it and we are in no position to do that at this time. Especially because our insurance right now won't even pay for the insulin "pin" only the old fashion syringes. But our co-pays are so much cheap then with our last insurance so we aren't complaining : ) We used to have to pay $186 a MONTH in co-pays alone. Nate has to manually get himself a shot of insulin every time he eats or drinks, so unfortunately he still has to get himself at least 5 shots a day and 4-5 finger pricks. Does he complain? Not a bit. In fact he says he's not ever sure he would like to have something (a pump) attached to him 24 hours a day.
Of course we pray for a cure! So again if you feel inclined to help please donate by clicking on the button I have on the right side of the blog OR donate to the Sydney Team for this sweet girl. It all goes to the same place! Again please don't feel like you have to donate, we just feel so blessed to have the support of wonderful family and friends!
Sorry for the rumblings!

8 comments:
I just tried to vote and it wouldn't let me. Boo. I'll try back later. And I'm not telling you what I think it is either! Why? Because I can't decide and have already changed my mind twice! Maybe it's a good thing the poll isn't working!
You are MORE THAN WELCOME to use that vid. We've actually had multiple DVD copies made here at the office because it's so good at educating people on what kids (and adults) with t1 actually go through. Thanks for posting this info. It goes a long way (and the ripple effect is hard to gauge).
Lenae I think that's so awesome that you guys get so involved.
We all pray for a cure! I saw something on dateline a couple weeks ago where they were testing out a man made pancreas and it seemed to preform like a real pancreas. They said it will still need to go through years of testing, but I thought that was great! It will be so exciting to see the things that they come up with in the near future. I think Alex has the same opinion on the pump as Nate does- it doesn't seem like it would be very convenient or comfortable to have that thing sticking out of you 24/7!
Everytime I see new pics of Carlee I think... OH MY GOSH THAT GIRL IS GROWING SO FAST!
And I think you're having a boy ;O) A little fishing buddy for Nate.
Hey, this is Kelsi Taylor from your old ward. I have been checking your blog for a while and I don't know why I never commented! Congrats on baby number three by the way! So fun!
Great post, Lenae! We miss you guys and hope all is well in Logan. I think it is a boy-maybe you will follow in Kellie's shoes. I can't wait to find out! We will pray for a cure, too!
What a lovely, tender post. I sure admire you and Nate. And I tend to forget that you live here. I really want to take some pics for you. Howabout September? What day of the week (evenings) would work best for you?
Looks like you guys had so much fun bowling! We too hope there is a cure for diabetes! Someday I am sure!
Lenae-
Sorry I have disappeared. For a month and a half my internet was so slow it wouldn't let me do much. Now it is fixed. I guessed you are having a boy! I think you and Nate are so neat. I hope that they can find the cure to diabetes. Kudos to you and Nate for educating yourselves, getting involved and staying strong! You are both very admirable people!
Post a Comment