Friday, September 26, 2008

F. F. A. D.

It has been Five whole months since Nate was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Every once in a while he will mention that he can't believe that he has to do"this" every time he has to eat. "This" meaning testing his blood sugar, counting carbs and giving himself the insulin shots. I can't express just how much I am grateful for his discipline in taking care of himself. Since the diagnoses he has made working out a priority. And if I may brag for a minute...He can now lift more weight than he could in his football days!

Last Saturday we had the opportunity to attend the annual JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) Walk for the Cure. Being the avid fly fisher Nate is, he named our team F.F.A.D.- Fly Fishers Against Diabetes. Nate's Mom and I made these iron on shirts for our team to wear. It was fun to have these shirts, but we wonder if we should have paid a little extra money for more professional looking shirts; they were noticeably iron-on shirts :)

I make our F.F.A.D. logo; tell me you like it :) I actually made it from a picture I took of Nate holding his fishing rod.



In fact Aubrey heard us all talking about how it is Nate's hand on the back of our shirts, and this is a conversation I had with her later that evening:

Aubrey: Mom look! (showing me the back of her shirt)
Me: Yeah! Do you know what it says? (thinking I could make this a teaching moment)
Aubrey: Um-hmm, I do
Me: What does it say?
Aubrey: It says, Dad's hand.

I could watch his girl smile and giggle all day!



Bubbles anyone?

The Real Salt Lake Bear was there to support the diabetics, and the kids loved it!

Ready to walk!

We failed at getting a good family picture due to a 3 year old's tantrum. Notice how Carlee is watching Aubrey act this way...this is exactly what I want Carlee to learn.

I want to Thank everyone that came to support Nate. We have the best support group. And we are so grateful to be surrounded by SO many wonderful people.

After the walk we went to watch the BYU game with John & Mallory and Brandon. We enjoyed each others company and the guys cooked up some delicious BBQ ribs! Aubrey's favorite part was this ferret, and thanks to Mallory I have this picture (I stole it off your blog:))of her holding/smothering it. Thanks for inviting us over John and Mallory!

7 comments:

Mallory said...

Fun pics Lenae!! I love the one of Aubrey crying, and Carlee watching her. SO funny!! We were glad you guys came out to Eagle Mtn. It was a fun and delicious bbq fiesta! Oh and remember how there were so many flies in there? Well John was killing them alllll night long, and then again the next day. There were literally about 30 flies in there!! It was nuts!

Haley said...

Wow, I'm so impressed that you did matching shirts. That's sooo awesome! You are such a supportive wife!!

Kristi said...

Way to go on the tshirts! Poor Nate...but that is awsome that he has motivated himself to take care of himself! I think I am in love with your girls...SO CUTE! (and can I just tell you that I feel for you with the tantrums...so fun)

yes, lets get to that park...life has slowed down now. Tell me a day, maybe we could meet around 10 am or noon and have a little picnic there?! What do you think?

Victoria Elder said...

That's great Nate is at the top of his game right now! That is so great you guys are so involved & I like your logo good job Lenae! Your two girls are just too cute they really are beautfiul! When is #3 is coming? :)
-I sent my gift for Aubrey with Christian & he said he would take it to his parents house in AF along with that saucer if you guys ever have some extra time to stop & get it

Steffani Dastrup said...

Carlee is adorable! I'm pretty sure that if her and Jax got married their kids would have the most beautiful eyes in the world! Jax is rolling a little. Mostly like Carlee, from his tummy to his back. The other night he was in the tub and I turned him on his tummy for a minute so I could wash his bum. I barely had the soap on when he rolled back to his back! Funny kid!

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

Thats so awesome good for all of you guys.

Terry and Amber Andrews said...

What cute family. If I was there I would have walked with you guys. I could have gotten my sister to go too. Oh well. I hope you are doing well.